David Himmelstein M.D., Steffie Woolhandler M.D., M.P.H.
Ida Hellander M.D.
Bleeding the patient
The Consequences of Corporate Health Care
ISBN 1-56751-206-2 (cloth) ISBN 1-56751-207-0 (pbk)
Common Courage Press 2001
Introduction: The Failure of �Free Market� Healthcare
- Rich Country, Poor Care
- Increasing Inequality: The Rich Get Richer, the Poor Get Sick
- The Inefficiencies of Private Healthcare: Rationing in the Midst of Plenty
- Profit-Driven Managed Care: The Disease, Not the Cure
- Medicare HMOs: Tax-Funded Profiteering
- The HMO Scam: Rich Investors, Poor Care
- Corporate Care: Inferior Quality, Inflated Prices
- Thinking Clearly on Drugs: Pharmaceutical Profiteering
- Solutions are at Hand: Other Nations Do Better
- Northern Light: Canada�s Experience with National Health Insurance
- A National Health Program and American Culture: Do They Mesh?
- A National Health Program for the United States